Approaches to Teaching & Learning
What are the approaches to learning (ATL)?
- ATL are deliberate strategies, skills and attitudes that permeate the teaching and learning environment.
- ATL supports the IB belief that a large influence on a student’s education is not only what you learn but also how you learn.
- ATL are intrinsically linked with the IB learner profile attributes to enhance student learning and assist student preparation for life after high school.
Approaches to Learning (5 elements)
- critical thinking
- creativity and innovation
- Communication skills
- Social skills
- Self-management skills
- Research skills
- information literacy
- media literacy
- Approaches to Teaching (6 elements)
- Teaching through inquiry
- Teaching through concepts
- Teaching developed in local and global contexts
- Teaching focused on effective teamwork and collaboration
- Teaching differentiated to meet the needs of all learners
- Teaching informed by assessment